Sunday, March 9, 2014

Twitterchats: PD of the future?

A Twitter chat is a set time each week that a group of people use the same hashtag (#). Within this agreed upon hashtag, people can discuss various topics. The argument is that twitter and twitterchats can be used for professional development or in a classroom setting.

After attending my first Twitter chat (#langchat) on Thursday night, I have reaffirmed my belief that twitter is not for me. It was difficult for me to follow all of the various conversations that were occurring. It was just a constant stream of pieces of conversations. There were so many different dialogues occurring at the same time, and to see any of them, you had to individually go through them. It was quite chaotic to go through. Maybe other chats are set up in a more organized fashion, this I cannot say. In general, I'm not a supporter of Twitter. I think trying to convey an idea in 140 characters is extremely limited and can lead to many mis-communications. I will not be using Twitter for networking or professional development in the future.

For those of you that do like twitter and can get it past the web-filters in a school setting, here are some suggestions for the classroom. From 35 Interesting Ways* to Use Twitter in the Classroom:

  • Let teachers follow what you are up to
  • Twitter Poll
  • Word Morph
  • Word Play
  • Monitor the learning process
  • Twalter egos
  • Twitter as a research 
  • Silencing blurters
  • Attendance reminders
  • Digital faculty lounge
  • Classroom notepad
  • Twitter recaps
  • Talking to career experts
I think that Twitter, if it's going to be used in the classroom, is more suited to college classes than middle school/high school. Many schools prohibit the use of phones and block social networking sites  like Twitter, at least the handful I've been in. I would not use Twitter in my own classroom, so I cannot offer any of my own ideas. If I wanted to use a social networking site, I would stick to something like Edmodo where ideas can be expanded upon, surveys can be taken, etc. 

2 comments:

  1. It's good that you have experienced a Twitterchat and read articles about using Twitter in the classroom, because now you can be sure that it is not "your cup of tea."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your informative post!!!
    Village Talkies a top quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & 3d, 2d animation video makers in Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing & Training videos, Product demo videos, Product video explainers, 2d, 3d Animation, Motion graphics, Whiteboard Ex plainer videos and more for all start-ups, industries and corporate companies. 

    ReplyDelete